Sorry for the lack of substance the past couple days but I have good excuses!
Sunday was Matias' birthday & we enjoyed ourselves a little too much that night with some (ok ALL the wine in the house & then some vodka) wine & some Dave and Tim Radio City DVD action until 3am. To say we were under the weather Monday would be an understatement & it reminded me why we normally do not do this unless we have Fellow Sitters here to help us out the next day! Tuesday was the day of the 40 minute nap followed by the fabulous Snot Hose Nose - Liam's got another cold & blowing streams of snot out of nose every chance he gets. The Little Fellow is quicker than me now & reaches the Snot Stream way quicker than I can get our Snot Rag (a lovely burp rag) to his face, hands & clothes. Today seems to be a little better or maybe that's just because Matias has him in his Office up in the bathroom with him while he showers...then it's noni time & he better sleep for longer. And also throw into this mix the fact that he has not slept through the night for the past two nights.
So without further ado...here's our Dining Out story!
I think Matias has a little fear of dining out with Liam, which is understandable when you come from a family of 11 children, with you being the oldest - the days of eating out are over in that situation. Amazingly, Matias & I have not eaten dinner out with Liam EVER (not counting the rest of my family being present). So Sunday night we ran through our Kid Friendly Options & decided on Caraba's - somewhere we had gone with my family before. The restaurant is loud to begin with so any toddler noise would be dinned by the rest of the noise already present & he really only squealed twice but even those didn't turn any heads. I would say what turned the most heads was his NEED to drink out of Dada's beer mug - forcing Matias to drain his beer (which if y'all know him in person, you know he can chug a beer in about 4 seconds flat), I think also leading to quite a nice buzz by the time we left the place.
Liam had his first meal off the Kids' Menu! Sadly, Mama forgot to order it for him so I had to grab the waitress on the way by. I suppose I'm not used to ordering for my child. sigh He had ravioli - and ate two full huge ones! Along with some bread. He totally turned his nose up though to mussels, but you cannot blame him on that one...I love them but I'm not so sure a 15 1/2 month old would :)
He sat in his highchair with no fuss - something that has been a struggle when I've been out with him with my family sans Matias. We had him situated between us with his back to a family there with two older girls but hopefully, we prayed, they still remembered the stage we were in & wouldn't give us many dirty looks. I brought his little lunch pail with some of those awesome plastic animals that he loves & he played away with them when all the food was gone, beer was drained & bread basket was empty.
We left right at his bedtime, which I was hoping to get home before it so we didn't feel rushed getting him all ready for nightnight but he managed it well & thankfully didn't fall asleep in the car on the way home - which would have been dreadful! Next time, we'll go right around 6 so if there is any wait or a long dinner service, we will still make it home before any meltdowns have time to occur.
All in all, it went really well. It helped that both of us where there to handle anything & everything that he might have thrown our way - also allowing us to both actually enjoy our dinners!
I'm sure we'll be eating out (at least some lunches) in Argentina so this was a good practice run to see how he handles such things :)
1 comment:
Yeah for dinners out! That rocks! I know we were the same way with Matthew in terms of being nervous.
We finally gave in and took him out to dinner with us when he was about 3 months old. We picked the loudest restaurant we could find and it went well so we have continued to do it about once a month.
I was nervous about going out with Matthew because he gave up the high chair VERY quickly. I mean we barely used his highchair for 8 months? I thought he would be all over but he knows he is supposed to sit in his chair and is generally well behaved. We have had to take him out a dining establishment maybe twice because he was fussy and we are hyper conscious about bothering other people.
We also know every good family restaurant between here and Indy ;) Our fav is Olive Garden (check out their kids menu - Chicken, broccoli and pasta (or you can do garlic mashed potatoes!)
Post a Comment