Wednesday, April 16, 2008

This is the Pope calling...

Way back when we were told that we would totally get tickets to see the Pope in DC since Matias' sister is studying in Rome right now & that she had a "connection" that was fool proof. We were put on High Alert with orders to pick up our tickets at Will Call tomorrow for the Mass at Nationals Stadium. Then we were told that we were to wait for a call officially confirming all of this. Well that call never came, sadly.

I joked that we were waiting for the Pope himself to call us and then found out that we were in fact waiting for a call from Rome and not from his sister but from someone in the church or something or maybe Matias is just pulling my pagan leg. Either way, we didn't get a phone call & it's past midnight in Rome now so it looks like our sure thing sure wasn't.

Kind of a bummer because it would have been a special time for Matias & Liam, sure I would have found it neat to be a part of it but obviously not in the same way my Catholic boys would have. I'm not sad about getting up before dawn to take the metro into town to stand in the Pope knows how many lines to get inside finally to wait for a Mass with a toddler, you know? Hopefully, this won't be a once in a lifetime missed opportunity though & some other day, some time, probably some other place, my Catholic boys can see the Pope together, as I do feel it's important for them to share in this experience together.

Matias said that it would be like seeing the Royal Family trying to light some sort of fire under my enthusiasm but I do have to say that those two things do not generate the same sort of "fire" for me! Yes, I would love to be a part of a historical event but sometimes you gotta realize when he's just not that into you and the Pope sometimes just doesn't return his calls like he says he will.

No comments: