Thursday, July 12, 2007

Water Baby

It was a beautiful day today - low 80s with zero humidity so I took Liam to the pool after his lunch & we had a great time!

He loves the water - zero fear - which I have to watch because he wants to dunk himself sometimes & doesn't really mind floating on his back but is still really suspicious of it.

He spent most of his time cruising around the perimeter of the 1 foot deep baby pool alternating between that & sitting in my lap splashing & kicking around. It was such a great, relaxing (minus the whole "don't slip, don't slip" chanting I was doing internally while he was doing all his cruising) time, I wish every day was a prefect pool day. I know I said I would go everyday with him but sometimes, as we all know, things don't work out like that for some reason or 549056 million other. I am going to work on being better about it because everything we do is so good for him that I should make a distinct point of doing that with him.

He also had great fun playing with my sunglasses - tossing them and walking/cruising after them & even bending over to retrieve them from the bottom!

One bad thing is he can get out of the baby pool. It's just like climbing up a big step for him I suppose, but it takes watching him to a whole new level. Now, granted, my eyes are never off of him & I barely ever/rarely don't have a hand or foot or leg on him physically but still...the slipping, just once, could do a lot of damage!

Another bad thing is the lifeguard rotation schedule they have for the Big Kid Pool - there's 3 guards working, one on rotation, the other 2 on "break" but they all take lunch at the same time for over a 1/2 hour & no one is allowed in the Big Kid Pool. Which is totally bad management. Why on earth do all 3 guards have to break at the same time? That's exactly why you have 3 guards & trust me, my 6 years of guarding has at least taught me that much. So once we got our fill of the Baby Pool, I was going to take him to the Big Kid Pool & let him hang out in his little floaty thing - he got tired out waiting for the guards to decide to start working again. So we came home & out he went for a 3 hour nap :) And the FOUR doors I have to maneuver with a stroller to actually get to the pool kind of get my knickers in a bunch too. That and the fact that I have to a) give them my pool ID card [that has my address on it] and then b) sign in on a form with my name, phone # and address [which hello, 2/3 of that info is on my ever-loving card that I just handed you].

Love the pool, hate the management.

He wore his trunks from Old Navy today - the ones with the flames on the sides of the legs :) Too cute. Sorry, no pictures but watching him is more than I can handle, don't even think about me handling a camera also!

Liam was being really cute though at one point...they have the tiles around the BABY POOL that say "no diving" and how deep the water is (1 foot) so he kept taking my hand over to them to tell him what they were...at some point, I added "how old is Liam going to be?" and I would point to the 1 :) I'm hoping that with in the next week (ohmygod) I can "train" him to respond with ONE when he's asked how old he is!

He also spent a lot of time watching the planes coming into Dulles - this time he started waving at them! Of course, he still smiles as he watches them in the sky and more specifically when he FINDS them. We always say to him, when we hear a plane, "where's the plane?" and then he looks up at the sky to find where it is and he smiles. And now he points :)

No comments: