Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A Primary Colored Plastic Universe Exploded in my House

OR

There’s a shit load of infant toys on the floor.

I look to my right & all I see is yellow, red, blue and some green – TOYS! His gym, his farm, his blocks for his farm, his train, his office, his fishbowl – all strewn across my floor & it’s a strange sight. I both love it & hate it at the same time – as primary colors are not my primary decorating colors – but then I ‘remember’ who they are for & I just get over it. There’s nothing to be done once your floors get overtaken by the Toys. I try to pick them up every night after Liam goes to bed but last night I was asleep on the couch by 10pm and had vigorously avoided the State of the Union address by boring myself to sleep watching Veronica Mars and the Toys remained. We are stepping & kicking & tripping over them already & he’s only 6 months old, I don’t see that a reflection of my housekeeping ‘skills’ or Matias’ understanding of the phrase “bull in a china shop” (it’s a compliment, right?), it’s just Life. And it’s a Clangy, Loud Life these days & amidst the Clanging & the Loud, I can see our future in it all. The Boy crawling and running and stumbling around, the cats Running for Their Lifes and the sound of Toys being pelted on the hardwood, cat fur prairie.

Liam tried to “crawl” a little more this morning – first after Monkey (a willing partner in crime) & then one of his stray blocks – he did quite well with using his arms AND knees at the same time but kind of “teetered” on his full of cereal from breakfast stummy. I was a little frightened of the impending pukefest because of that so I scooped him up, wiped off his drool covered face & let him play with Monkey from the safety of Sitting Up. We’ll get back to that sometime today, I’m sure of it.

His waking time is all over the clock these days – I can pinpoint it to sometime between 6:30 and 9am. Helpful, no? His naps aren’t lasting for any predictable amount of time & lately he’s even been throwing in one or two more naps, of course depending on what the earlier part of the day looked like. A growth spurt is likely to blame for this nonsense but still it leaves me guessing a lot these days as to what he needs. Hell, one day he fell asleep at 11:17am after nursing & woke up at 2:30. Then I didn’t stuff him full of his apples & pears but nursed him again & then he was asleep at 4pm again. Yesterday, he napped for 20 minutes, twice in the morning & then, I think, took 3 naps in the afternoon. He’s all over the place! I’m just trying to keep his belly full (Pimp Juice first, Meals second) and his mind active when he is awake.

For a few days he skipped the wake up at 11pm madness – seems he only decided to push that back to 11:15 or so. He’s holding onto the 3am-ish feeding which is fine but the closer he wakes to 3am the closer he wakes to 6am and then the closer he wakes to 4am the closer he wakes at 7am. And then he pulls the Sleep In trick, like on Sunday, and sleeps until 9:10am.

ANYWAY.

Matias taught him a new trick – after a song ends, Beatles of course, he says something that resembles “huh” and now he does it every_single_time a song ends! Even if he’s got his head down on my shoulder, ½ asleep he’ll let out a little “huh” and I have to respond with another “huh”. I worry/wonder that he’ll keep himself awake waiting for the end of the song so he can “huh”.

Also, if he’s watching TV, Matias will put his hand out in front of his facing blocking his view of the TV. The Boy LEANS OVER TO SEE AROUND HIS HAND.

He’s also smacking his lips & blowing LOTS of HUGE spit bubbles. He’s playing with his tongue a lot more often these days too.

I’ve basically got him using his chupie only in his crib. It doesn’t come downstairs with us & it doesn’t leave the nursery either. He rarely keeps it in during his entire nap/sleep so I have no problem with that. So now he’s got a garden of chupies in his crib! And we had to retire his newborn chupie (don’t worry, I put it away for safe keeping!) that the hospital gave us as it was just getting disgusting and he’s chewing on them now…and I replaced them with 6 month + ones and it did take him a few days of getting used to the new size to not refuse it. And by “refuse it” I mean spit it out and most likely have it land UNDER the crib. Sometimes he even hands it to me by placing it very close to my mouth, which, of course, I’m taking as a gesture to share his chupie with his Mama. Which, thanks, but no thanks. *gag*

Tomorrow we go for our 6 month checkup & I am waiting to hear that we need to get him his new car seat. The one he has now goes up to 29” and I can almost guarantee that he has grown 2” in the past 1 ½ months. The one we’ve picked out passed that Consumer Reports 70-80 mph test, so if I get blindsided on the freeway, I feel quite confident. Right.

And now some Mommy News/Queries:

1) When does the night sweating stop? Not only is it still disgusting but it’s downright chilly to get out of bed, full of sweat to sit and nurse him during the night. I’ve taken to putting a hoodie on before I sit down to nurse him but I still get the chills because of it. I’ve always been a person who sleeps fully clothed, even sometimes with a sweatshirt over my flannel PJs and I always sleep with socks on. Last night I put a tank top and Capri pants on and still sweated my ass off.

2) My new birth control, which I finally got use to wearing (I’m using the Patch) costs $50 a MONTH. I wont be continuing that next month so I have to call the doctor and find a cheaper method. People, that’s $600 a YEAR. I suspect my insurance, just switched to Matias’, doesn’t cover it. Bastards.

3) I think I’ve lost some weight. And I only know/think this because certain body parts are no longer touching other certain body parts. According to our shitty IKEA scale, I still have only lost about 7 lbs. since I gave birth to Liam so it’s sitting in the to be taken to the curb pile.

4) I went to one MNO on Friday & had a great time – of course Liam was awake and “looking” for Mama when I rolled in at 11:45pm. I’m going to another one this Friday but wont be out as late since we are going to a restaurant and not someone’s home.

5) Also related to #3, I’m attempting to start tracking my food points, a la Weight Watchers, but really haven’t made a serious attempt at it YET. I mentally tracked them the other day & with the 10 extra nursing points you get, I know I didn’t even come close to eating all my points. So maybe I’m just a fat ass?

6) Even in the last week, I’ve found it much easier to do Jen Things because Liam is becoming less dependent on me for the Pimp Juice. He nurses anywhere from 5-6 times a day (including our early am session) depending on his nap schedule. And with stretches in between that run anywhere from 2-4 hours. So I treasure the time even more that we are “together” but also breathe a little sigh of relief that we literally are not “attached” as often and that, also literally, frees me up to be Jen more often.

No comments: