Friday, September 01, 2006

I’ve entered the Danger Zone

Sound the Alarms.

I believe I have firmly crossed the threshold into Soccer Mom Territory – I have joined a Mommies Group.

Hi! My name’s Jennifer & I’m a Mommies Group Member. I’ve been a member for about 4 weeks now & I’ve slipped once & gone to a Mommies Group Event.

Liam & I went to a Ice Cream Social & we had a great time!! Ok, he slept the entire time but Mommy had a yummy chocolate shake. All the women are really nice & friendly – there weren’t a lot of infants there that time but there are many new guys that have recently been born so I’m thinking at future events there will be more of us New Mommies present.

It is a DC Metro area group run off of YahooGroups & there are Local Chapters – thankfully Manassas is included too. There are then subgroups including book clubs (Manassas just started one once I expressed interest!), scrapbooking clubs, walking moms groups, etc…so I honestly think this is a good fit for me. It gets me out of the house, doing fun things & socializing with Liam & gets ME doing fun things for ME! It’s an adjustment (Understatement of 2006) this Stay at Home Mom business (and that’s SAHM, for you non-breeders) & I am hoping that this group will, not only, help with my new Job as a SAHM but help me adjust to being a Mother.

I don’t necessarily miss my job, the act of going into work doesn’t appeal to me at the moment (but with a two hour commute who would that appeal to??) but I do miss having Things To Do that are outside of the sit on the couch with a bebe attached to my boob! So my calendar is quite full – not all of the events can Liam & I participate in yet but just looking at the next week there are 3 events scheduled! Of course, I’m missing my first Mom’s Night Out (MNO) because we are going to AoE (Axis of Evil), but it’s still nice to see a schedule and things for me to do filling up my days.

It’s really easy to stay in the house with your newborn and just take care of your daily things but if I have a Schedule or an Appointment than I’m much less inclined to be lazy or take the easy route and get out and do something. And I know all of that will change once I get a lot more comfortable venturing outside with Liam. As HIS schedule becomes clearer it’s easier to guesstimate WHEN Mom can escape into the world with Liam in tow. Especially since I’ve been nursing without supplementing by bottle or formula – that’s a tough call between feedings and naps – I’ve got a two hour window that gets filled with 30 minutes feedings, diaper changes at the hour mark and maybe a nap in there if we are playing in the gym or singing & dancing around the house – those two hours FLY BY so I don’t ever feel like I can JUST LEAVE. There’s always the Next Feeding to think about.

I’ve also got some Crop Events that I’m planning on making a routine practice – Liza has Thrifty Thursdays where you are only obligated to bring a snack for everyone & the workshop is free of charge – this happens every 2nd Thursday & is from 9-2. Now, I may not make it exactly at 9 and I may not make every 2nd Thursday but I DO have it on my calendar & I don Intend on making those events! Cause people, I haven’t even started my PREGNANCY ALBUM yet & Liam is 6 weeks old!! (that whole statement is worthy of another post altogether!)

And it will be nice to meet other women in the area – women that I actually have things in common with now. There’s a long standing joke with my scrapbooking buddies at Liza’s that I was the person who rarely made albums of PEOPLE that most of my pictures were of CATS. Not true any longer.

Hi! My name’s Jennifer & I’m a New Mother.

No comments: